Daily Mail reports:
"[This] shocking [photo] of two stallions covered in blood and ferociously biting each other were taken at the annual horsefight in Antai, China, where such animal cruelty is considered 'sport'.
At the annual event, which dates back a staggering 500 years, horses are pitted against each other as thousands of locals watch, with many cheering them on and taking photographs.
The stallions are encouraged to fight by being lead to a mare in heat, and then taking the female horse away when the stallions are aroused.
If the stallions still refuse to fight then they are whipped and gunshots are fired to frighten them.
While the 'sport' of horse fighting is enjoyed throughout China, it has been labelled 'barbaric' by animal rights campaigners.
Vivian Farrell, President of the International Fund For Horses, which has led campaigns to ban horse fighting, said: 'It's cruel and inhumane and I don't know why they do it.
'Sadly it is mostly driven by the Chinese love of gambling, although people get fired up over the blood, gore and intensity of the fighting.'
A spokesperson for PETA added: 'Torturing these magnificent animals in the name of entertainment is deplorable. Tradition never justifies cruelty and has no place in a civilised society.'
Horse fighting has been outlawed almost worldwide, but it still thrives in countries like the Philippines, Indonesia, South Korea and China."
- Sign a Change.org petition urging Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny to stop Irish racehorse exports to China, where they will be used in horse fighting
- Join over 611,000 people around the world who have signed a PTROA petition urging the Chinese government to pass animal welfare laws
- Sign a ForceChange petition urging Tesco to stop selling live turtles for human consumption in China
- Sign a Change.org petition urging the Tongan Government to stop the export of turtle shell from Tonga to China
- Sign the Humane Society's "Be Cruelty-Free" pledge to say no to cosmetics animal testing
- Sign a Care2 petition urging Chinese authorities to crack down on illegal imports of pangolins
- Join over 785,000 people who have signed an Avaaz petition urging EU leaders to push CITES to suspend trade in all rhino products
- Join Stella McCartney and sign the PETA pledge to be leather-free
- Sign a Born Free Foundation petition to increase the protection of elephants from the bloody ivory trade
- Sign a Griddix petition urging U.S. President Barack Obama and President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso to officialy ask to the Chinese government to stop the brutal practice of eating dog meat and to immediately end the terrible tortures to which dogs are subjected in China
- Sign a Change.org petition urging Nestle Purina to recall chicken jerky treats made in China
- Sign a Care2 petition urging Chinese president Hu Jintao to stop killing endangered species
- Sign a Change.org petition to stop the sale of "living keychains"
- Sign a Care2 petition asking the Chinese government to ban shark finning
- Sign PETA's Pledge to Be Fur-Free
- Sign a ForceChange petition to protect threatened populations of Asian musk deer
- Sign a Care for Chinese Animals petition to ban dog and cat meat in China
- Join Bill Clinton, Paul McCartney, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Bono, Ricky Gervais, Roger Moore, Susan Sarandon, Anjelica Huston, Jeremy Irons, Paula Abdul, Joan Jett, Annie Lennox, Elton John and thousands of others who have signed the TigerTime petition urging Chinese premier Wen Jiabao to call for an end to all tiger trade in China
- Sign a Change.org petition to close China's bear bile farms
- Sign the Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW)
- Follow 13.7 Billion Years on Twitter
- Reason #1: China Tortures and Kills Bears
- Reason #2: China Kills Endangered Tigers
- Reason #3: China Slaughters Dogs Inhumanely, Eats Them
- Reason #4: China Is Pushing Musk Deer to Extinction
- Reason #5: China Tortures Animals on Fur Farms
- Reason #6: Chinese Delicacy Fuels Torture and Death of Sharks
- Reason #7: China Is Pushing Seahorse to Extinction
- Reason #8: China Sells Live Animals in Sealed Plastic Keychains
- Reason #9: China Tortures and Kills Monkeys for Monkey Brain Dish
- Reason #10: China Sells Toxic Treats That Kill Dogs
- Reason #11: China Clubbed 50,000 Dogs to Death
- Reason #12: China Supports Slaughter of Elephants for Ivory
- Reason #13: China Abuses Cows and Baby Calves
- Reason #14: China Is Pushing Endangered Rhino to Extinction
- Reason #15: China Is Pushing Endangered Pangolin to Extinction
- Reason #16: China Massacred Tens of Thousands of Cats for Olympics
- Reason #17: China Requires Animal Testing on Cosmetics
- Reason #18: China Kills Endangered Turtles
- Reason #19: China Kills Baby Mice for Delicacy Dish
- Reason #20: China Sells Videos of Animals Being Crushed to Death
- Reason #21: China Allows Horse Fighting
- Reason #22: China Drowns Baby Mice to Make a Health Tonic
- Reason #23: For Countless Animals, China Is Hell on Earth
- Dog Days of Summer: Selected videos of man's best friend
- Second Rock from the Sun: Looking at Venus
- Ars Animalis: Looking at animals throughout the history of art
- Women's History Month: Remembering 22 women in science
- Purity Month: Looking at 100%
- Instead of This, Try This: Starting the new year with change
- Victory Month: Celebrating positive change through grassroots action
- Of Rice and Men: Cooking the world's most important grain for human nutrition
- 21 Days, 21 Reasons, 21 Recipes, 21 Quotes: Eating plants, loving animals
- Rich Dog, Poor Dog: Considering man's best friend
- Physicists & Priests: Looking at the relationship of science and religion
- Deep Space: Staring at the stars
- Gray Matters: Thinking about thinking
- Flower Power: Stopping to smell the angiosperms
- Animal Cruelty: Looking at the devil within
- Chemical Month: Exploring the vast laboratory of our daily lives
- Africa Month: Visiting the world's second-largest continent
- Reports from 2050: Imagining the future