But now, thanks to the Blue Ocean Institute, all you need is your cell phone.
Yellowfin tuna or albacore? Wild or farm-raised? No problem. Just text FISH and the variety you're wondering about to 30644 and you'll get an instant reply telling you if your choice is good for the planet -- and good for you.
If you've got internet access on your mobile phone, you can also dial up fishphone.org.
No cell phone? Go the old-fashioned route and print out the Environmental Defense Fund's pocket seafood selector and stick it in your wallet.
- "Sustainable fishing at your fingertips: The best fish to buy? Ask your cell phone" (Scientific American, January 16, 2008)
- Overfishing: How Supermarkets Rate (December 28, 2008)
- Crisis in the Bering Sea (December 3, 2008)
- Big Fish, Little Fish (November 13, 2008)
- Ted Danson's Fight to Prevent A Bluefin Tuna Collapse (September 26, 2008)
- A Six-Step Plan to Save the Oceans from An Extinction Crisis (August 17, 2008)
- Marine Life Bounces Back After Fishing Ban (July 17, 2008)
- US Backs Proposal for Destructive Fishing (June 3, 2008)